Friday, July 31, 2009

Captain Planet is my hero

My generation grew up watching Captain Planet, a show that made it very clear that polluting oil companies are the bad guys, and that YOU the viewer can help save the world by picking up trash and planting trees.  

Maybe that's the reason why so many kids my age feel responsible for this planet, and actually go out of their way to cut down on waste.  Also, that's probably the most racially and culturally diverse group of superheroes I ever saw, so it probably taught us some ethnic tolerance, but maybe that's a stretch.

I just wanted to say that it really has become a big cultural movement, and I think it's more than a passing fad to be environmentally conscious.  Even at rowdy irresponsible drinking parties in college, people recycle the empties despite their inebriated state.

I for one am going to try to do my part, just like the powerful and blue Captain Planet.  A few energy saving lightbulbs, conserving paper consumption, and recycling can make a big difference... at least, that's what TV told me.   



No comments:

Post a Comment